Take and make a crust in a trap & take cruddes and wryng out þe wheyze and drawe hem þurgh a straynour and put hit in þe crust. Do þerto sugar the þridde part, & somdel whyte of ayren, & shake þerin blomes of elren; & bake it vp with eurose, & messe it forth.
XCIX Elder flower flavored tart
Elderflower flavored tart for twelve people. Take a large pot of fresh milk curds and take two pounds of fresh loin (of pork?), twelve eggs, three ounces of sugar and mature elder flowers. Take the milk curds with the water strained out, the eggs that you have, the pork belly fat or lard and the elder flowers and mix these things together and put into a crust. And this tart should be fat and sweet and it is good.
*- where did the loin disappear to. We were asked for a loin and then the pork belly fat appeared. If you were to view this as a sweet cheesecake recipe the pork loin obviously has no place. It may be a transcription error in the original manuscript or the recipe did originally call for pork fat from the loin.
The “late apresso” which I originally translated just as milk, appears to be pressed milk, which would make sense given that later we are told to take it strained of water, in which case it is a form of cheese curd
A Proper New Booke of Cookery, A. Veale
To make short paest for tarte. Take fyne floure and a cursey of fayre water and a dysche of swete butter and a lyttel saffron, and the yolckes of two egges and make it thynne and as tender as ye maye.
3 lbs of Cottage Cheese
12 egg whites
⅓ cup sugar
3 tbsp dried elderflowers
1 tbsp rose water
- Line pan with prepared crust (I only used half of the made crust)
- Wring the liquid from the cottage cheese leaving just the curds
- Beat together the remaining ingredients
- Pour into crust
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until golden
crust filled prior to baking
final baked sambocade
2 ½ cups flour
12 Tbsp. butter
4 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. salt
¼ cup water
- 3 lbs of commercial cottage cheese with all the liquid squeezed out yields a lot less curds than you might imagine. I didn’t weigh the resulting curd mass but it easily fit inside a quart sized ziptop bag.
- I didn’t have access to elderflowers when I decided to make this so I used dried elderflowers acquired at a brewing store